Re: [Amc-list] Looking for parts

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'll throw my two cents worth in on the 4.0L -- and basically agree with
" the others. For another 10-20 hp get a 4.0L head and bolt that on. The
" triangular ports on the distributor side need to be filled (they were to
" rinse sand out, no matching ports on block) because they sit very close
" to the edge of the block (the 4.0L block is about 1/8" wider on top).

this is true except for '87-up 258s, which have the same wide block as
4.0s.  they need nothing to take the 4.0 head.  another id point -
they went back to 1/2" head bolts like the '60s-'70s, from the 7/16"
of the early '80s.

" A 4.5-4.7L costs little more than a
" stock rebuild. A budget stroker is just a 4.0L block/head/pistons with
" 258 crank and rods -- and a carefully selected camshaft to make it run
" right with the stock computer. You need to limit "running compression"
" to close to stock. That means using a high overlap cam (compared to
" stock 4.0L or 258) to reduce cylinder pressure. The various stroker
" sites will list the recommended cams. Otherwise you need to have custom
" pistons or modify stock pistons (deeper dish) to lower static
" compression to 9:1 or less (stock 4.0L is 8.7:1).

you don't necessarily have to swap cams; there are two stock
replacement piston alternatives.  the speed pro 677p have a larger
dish than stock and give ~9.25:1 c/r in a std bore stroker.  this is
not too much, but while the engine's apart you can reduce ping
sensitivity by softening the sharp edges of the combustion chamber
that don't touch the cylinder.  silvolite 2228 have a very thick deck
and the dish can safely be milled deeper.  there's someone over on the
strokers@yahoogroups list offering them; all up about half the $$ of
custom slugs.

and also on strokers there's someone running a 4.5 with a 258 cam and
reporting tremendous off-idle power, no ping.