[Amc-list] Re; Losing my oil cap

Marty

Snip
I have lost two of the push in type oil filler caps
from my daughters aluminum valve cover in the last
couple of weeks.
Snip
This is a GM part. It was used by Jeep on the Buick V6 based engine Jeep
used for a while, common on all other GM cars and should be easily
available from an auto parts store. When bought from a specialty company
it would have a chrome hat on it to look good.
I use them to mount smog parts on Chrome (cheap or inexpensive) valve
covers by coring a hole in them to mount the smog fittings when I used
them on AMC I-6 engines.

Snip
I assume it's
some sort of pressure build up but what can I do to
relieve it?  It has the pcv filter at the front of the
cover that goes into the carb and the hose that runs
from the reor of the valve cover into the air cleaner.
Snip

It would seem to me you would have to have some serious blow by to
generate pressure under the valve cover. The fitting in back is a 3/8 or
so hole and sucks clean air into the engine for PCV functioning through
a little square filter inside the air cleaner. Usually if you have a
pressure problem you have serious blow by and you start blowing oil up
into the air cleaner through that fitting and the engine smokes a lot.
In addition, if the PCV valve will rattle it is probably open too, as
that fitting goes up into the snorkel of the air cleaner there is no
real vacuum there, but if there is enough blow by to overcome the size
of the hole in the pcv valve and the fresh air vent, there should be
some serious blow by visible plus the car smokes a lot.

Or

That rubber plug thing has soaked enough oil into it that the rubber has
deteriorated and it will just skootch itself out of the mounting hole in
the top of the valve cover and you are replacing it with equally
deteriorated used pieces and they aren't any better than the one you
were or are using.

Anyway that is what I have found I have to do every now and then. Just
replace the equally oil soaked rubber oil cap with a new one that ain't
oil soaked.

John