[Amc-list] I believe I have a 1969 German Javelin

[Amc-list] I believe I have a 1969 German Javelin

Snip
Serial-- A9A795B331137
Snip

The last 6 digits of the VIN number are indicators as to where it was
built and more or less how many AMC cars were manufactured totally.
1xxxxx were built in Kenosha, 7xxxxx were built in Brampton. My rough
and cursory addition indicates that there were a total of  285,000 AMC
cars built in 1969 unless I missed something when I added up the
numbers. However the standard catalog of American Motors indicates that
there were only 239,548 sales for 1969 so there is quite a discrepancy
between my addition, reported sales and the vin number of 331,137.
What is missing completely is almost any information as to how AMC cars
were manufactured off shore by the various off shore companies that
assembled and sold AMC cars. That would be Karmann of Germany, Renault
of France, VAM of Mexico, the Australian models and others that I
probably have not run across yet.
Most of these applications were assembled from knock down packages or
"AMC" kit cars that were packaged and sent to the off shore assembly
company who then put them together using a certain amount of "local
content" materials. I have seen VIN plates from those cars assembled by
Renault and they clearly say where they came from. Australian models
were rebuilt as right hand drive cars, but I have no idea as to how or
why they were VINed to conform to what ever the local rules were.
The 3xx,xxx number indicates to me that it might not be a Kenosha car,
it is too big from what I can guess at.
One clue might be how the car is named. It is my understanding that off
shore U.S. the cars maintained their Rambler identity rather than be
named as an AMC car. So how is it identified or badged?

For further information see the following web sites.

http://en.allexperts.com/e/k/ka/karmann.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/amc-javelin

and there may be more!

Off shore manufacturing information is sadly lacking in a lot of the
automotive hobby. At my Chrysler club meeting this week one of the
trivia questions was when was the last DeSoto. The answer is 1961, as
far as the US is concerned. As the resident AMC owner I am not sure how
impressed they were with my picture of a 1963 Desoto taken in Africa or
the truck assembly plant out side of Istanbul that still carries the
Desoto Logo on it's letterhead.
But keep'em guessing is my motto, that way they don't have time to
impress upon me how great a Hemi is!
As a part time contributor to the news letter and active on the board of
directors my article contribution of the infamous underhead cam red head
engine convinced one member to drop his plans of small block converted
1950 Dodge to a well modified underhead cam 219 cu in engine complete
with overdrive.

John

This is a lot more fun than doing my taxes!