[Amc-list] Head rebuild cost

Hi, Guys:

I complained last week about the cost of having a head rebuilt for my 196 engine.  This is for a '62 Cross Country wagon.

Here's the breakdown of costs that I got from the Napa machine shop that did the work:

Replace Valve Seat $60
Replace Valve Guides $72
Resurface Cyl Head $60
Valve Job $100.
Shop Supplies $12.
Total: $304.

When you add the $150-odd $ that I spent on valves and springs, the cost of just redoing the head starts to push $500!  Yikes!  At that price, I could just lay low and wait for a low-mileage, totally rebuilt engine come up on Ebay.

Guess I'll be in the market for another machine shop . . .  those guys do good work, but I just can't afford them any longer, I don't think.

If you have a good shop to recommend in the Chicago area, give me a holler.

- Justin