Re: [Amc-list] t-tube broke.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, d stohler wrote:

> under and what do you know? the 4 bolts mounting the
> t-tube to the trans tail shaft. all 4 bolt holes
> ripped out....

Wow, that's awful sorry it happened and I'm glad you're OK!

Fore/aft thrust on a torque tube car is

rear tires --> axle assembly --> torque tube --> transmission -->
transmission crossmember --> thrust bushings --> chassis.

When you accellerate the axle and torque tube are pushing the
chassis forward against the thrust bushings. The four TT bolts
do no work there.

When braking or decelleration (engine braking) all of the car
weight that's not on the front tires/brakes is pulling on those
four bolts. They're all that holds the rear of the car into
the chassis, longitudinally-speaking.

If you down-shift without braking there's probably a big torque
impulse on those bolts (trans, and thrust bushings).

Maybe they were loose and got angled? Is the big TT rubber
donut assembly in place and OK?

The four TT bolts are probably grade 8 (haven't looked at mine
in years -- but since I just had a trannie rebuild... I think
I will be crawling under my Rambler this weekend!!!) if you
broke all the ears off the tube, better make a good repair or
find another tube.