Re: [Amc-list] 61 classic super

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, JT wrote:
"
" > I have a 1961 Classic Super with a bad 195.6 I'm looking to put a AMC
" > 340 or 360 in it. Will these engines bolt to my auto trans ???
"
" The short answer is no, not even close. The torque tube/enclosed
" driveline cars use the older trans and bellhousing patterns, and
" are different 6 and 8. Also, a 8 of any kind will probably eat
" the transmission that's in there (little 3-speed or air-cooled
" auto).

hold on a second!  when did they start using the aluminum warner?  if
this car still has the iron warner the engine swap isn't so
impossible.  a 360 would have to be a '70-1 and it would be smart to
use a matching warner auto with the '61 torque tube adapter.

" Unfortunately I believe that for 1961 that's your only "bolt in"
" choice -- besides another early six -- since that year still
" has the motor mounts up at the front of the engine.

everything else about the swap is still a lot of work, and i don't
know if the rear axle is up to it - does the super have an amc15 or
amc20?