Re: [Amc-list] Droning sound in 66 American

Re: [Amc-list] Droning sound in 66 American

Some of the later TSMs have a diagnostic chart for
tire/wheel noise.  Could also apply to any drivetrain
noise.

The 1980 TSM section for noise starts on page 2H-9.

Possible causes considered:  Tire and wheel radial
runout, wheel hop. Tire balance, Tire and wheel
lateral runout, tire wear, radial tire waddle,
universal joint angles, universal joints, propeller
shaft and yokes, front wheel bearings, rear axle
noise, transmission extension housing (bushing),
engine drive accessories, accessory drive belts,
damaged engine mounts.

I recommend you go through the car and SYSTEMATICALLY
eliminate the above causes.  For instance rear end
noise can probably be eliminated by putting the rear
of the car up on jack stands and having a second
person put the car in gear and listen for noise.
Wheel runout can be measures.  Switch your tires
around to see if the noise changes.  Disconnect
accessories on the engine to eliminate possible
causes.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA