Re: [Amc-list] 1970 brake specs?

> Here's one for you: 1975-up brake "combo valve":
> * auto-resets the warning switch after bleed or repair

> Does that last mean you don't need the check valve in the master
> cylinder port for the rear brakes?

No! ... which will remind me to Read The F'ing Manual bore
opening mouth...

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> NEGATIVE!! All it means is that there's a little pull-out spring loaded
> stem on the left end. The spring is NOT inside the brake line port. It's
> part of the proportioning valve. After the preset pressure is reached
> the valve won't let additional pressure pass. The spring effectively
> cuts off flow to the rear brakes after the pressure setting is reached.

We're both wrong...

It's a "front [disc] brake pressure hold off valve". It is
internally sprung; it delays hydraulic pressure to the FRONT
brakes until the pressure is high enough to take up the slop
in the rear shoes.

The TSM states the stem must be pulled out (spec in book)
to bleed the brakes. Not needed for vacuum bleeding, at least.

So far I've found at least two substantially different DISC
BRAKE COMBINATION VALVE types and at least two BRAKE WARNING
VALVE AND SWITCH types.

So far, none of them contain a proportioning valve -- when
those are used they are separate and on the rear of the chassis.

The two major types are brake warning switch manual-resetting
and self-resetting. 75-up are self-resetting (will know for
sure when I get all the TSMs, but it seems a safe bet).