[Amc-list] Cookies

just like Oreo cookies... ...black on the outside, white in the middle
<<

...IOW 225/75-16 [OEM] Nabiscos.  Natural shade of rubber before it was colored grey or beige, before it was mixed with ashes of carbon black.  Bubble, bubble, toil, trouble: check an old Michelin Good Times Guide.

Back when old Gormully & Jeffery clinched their fame, Andre & Edouard tired of hard rides and blew the minds of roadies (as did John Boyd...)

http://tinyurl.com/293usx

http://www.ulsterhistory.co.uk/johndunlop.htm

so they engaged a guy named O'Galop (I'm not kidding; real history is funny) to puff their product up.  "Now is the time to drink!" is what their very first motoring advert really said (the French really said,
"...Michelin tire drinks obstacles to your health..." so they really were NOT setting standards for future drivers like Brandy, Sven, or Steve)

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah4150.shtml

http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/2006/02/24/news/news1.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/16/sports/baseball/16swindal.html

but do stand as witness to what is a ghostly age of automobilia today

http://walterkovacs.wordpress.com/2007/01/27/bibendum/

(When O'Galop first drew Bibendum in 1898, white tires were packed in white paper, so the Michelin Man was white, too.  To his left you see Dunlop as "Pneu X" and to his right, the leader of Continental Rubber.  By implication, clear to automobilists smarter then than today*, that neither brand could compete...)

[*if not to all automobilists, to too many, sadly too many Americans]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4BgMU-Nd0

when white tires were fast tires, even covered with sand,

http://www.speedace.info/andrew_riker_electric_torpedo.htm

engineered by a crazy biker who would build bigger trucks,

http://tinyurl.com/ysqth3

build the best (and most costly) pre-'20s cars in America,

http://www.tocmp.com/pix/L/Locomobile/1919Locomobile.jpg

http://www.histomobile.com/histomob/internet/189/histo02.htm

and become the first SAE president as well,

http://www.sae.org/sae100/people/riker.htm

to prove that New Jersey wasn't always a bad state of cars.

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ryker2/Riker_Electric1.jpg

It looks like a stupid design. Since my intended stop was the grocery
store, I didn't want to get dirty handling busted parts but what it
looks like is that the top of the joint wasn't a beefy casting like I'm
used to seeing. I haven't gone through receipts but I think this is the
second driver's side outer tie rod end for the truck
<<

And just when "stupid design" becomes "Smart by Mercedes," the shop is sold again?  If not to GM (which, IMHO, sounds like General Lunacy), to a Chinese Chery-picker or perhaps to an up-and-comer we've not even thought of? Chrysler Singapore?  Jeep Kuala Lumpur?  Mahindra Matador?

If a 2006 Toyota Tundra doesn't ram its tie rods through tires in 2117, we'll be able to remember the days when tires were white and Chrysler was a memory of what it'd been.  Chrysler was known as an -engineering- automaker.  Back when America was Imperial.  (After Cadillac was Imperial, too...)

Front brake design though is a significant factor in how the car stops.
For example the dual wheel cylinder system used in Chrysler cars on or
about the 1960's was quite iffy in the capability of stopping a speeding
Plymouth as compared to the dual servo system many other cars used at
the same time. But Buick around the same time interval had massive
finned drums on the front that had a reputation for doing and
outstanding job of woeing up those big heavy Electra 225s and is still
the front drum conversion of choice if building a street machine for
both looks and performance if you want to build something with drums.
For what it is worth, that is what I come up with.
<<

John E. is too young to remember (and so is John M.), but he reminds us of one of the first "factory muscle cars" that is exactly 77 years old.

http://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/images/1930.jpg

It had the biggest engine the foundry poured, it had an angled port surface to separate the intake from the exhaust (which, itself, was finned also), it had a snazzy Detroit Lubricator updraft two-barrel carb, it had a engine-driven vacuum booster to keep the gas flowing, and, of course, it had a sporty body on a special narrowed chassis.  It was lower, lighter, and lither (who knew that's a real word?) so it was a Packard Javelin or AMX 390.  Really fast!  To slow it, it had something else no other Packard had also: it had finned iron brake drums.

Hope that's something interesting.

At least it's history.