[Amc-list] Yo Nick, any comparo on the Indy and E-B Heads

[Amc-list] Yo Nick, any comparo on the Indy and E-B Heads

Here is how I see it as I sell both brands and have
used both on engine builds.

Out of the box, the Indy SR heads flow better.  The
raised intake port is slightly better and there is
more material in them to port if desired.  With some
port work, 280 + cfm from the Edelbrocks is there.  To
get much more, you have to swap out the valves for
larger ones and unshroud the chambers.  Also, if you
plan on running more than 580 lift, you will need to
change valves and springs as well.  Indy heads come
with springs to match your cam where as the Edelbrocks
come with a standard spring for decent size hydraulic
anything else is a separate purchase.  The Indy heads
retail for about $1990-2090 (depending on guide plates
and studs or not) while the Edelbrocks are around
$1640 complete.

Chamber size is different between them.  Indy has a
61cc chamber and Edelbrock has a 54.  This equates to
more or less compression depending on you application.
 If you currently have a 58cc head and 10.0:1
compression, you will increase that to appr. 10.3-4:1
with the Edelbrock heads and decrease to appr. 9.7
with the Indy heads.  The advantage to aluminum heads
is you can run more compression and not have fuel
problems than with cast iron due to the heat
dissipation of aluminum.  The pit fall is the same
reason.  The decreased heat in the combustion chamber
mean less hp from the exact same flowing cast head.
One way around this is to have the piston and chamber
coated to retain heat.  The benefits typically out
weigh this loss though as the aluminum head are
typically more efficient than most of the cast heads
out there (this is just rule of thumb so don't scream
about your highly ported, epoxied cast heads).

Out of the box, the Edelbrock heads don't need any
adjustment to the attaching bolt ons.  The Indy heads
do require a space for the intake which is no big
deal.  Both bolt up to a regular dogleg header.

All in all, if you can use the Edelbrock heads out of
the box the way they come with the valves and springs,
you will save a couple dollars with them.  If you
don't mind doing some work to them you can get them to
flow fairly well and better than most cast heads.  If
you are looking at future upgrades or want something
you can tailor to your cam specs, the few extra
dollars for the Indy heads is well spent.  A good set
of springs and valves will more than chew up the
difference.

A couple other observations.  The first set of heads I
got from both had initial issues.  First the Indy
heads.  On both heads, the two outside center valve
cover holes were drilled and tapped into the water
jacket.  We found this out when we removed the cover
and had anti-freeze shoot out from them (easy fix and
might be fixed now as this was one of the first sets
they made).  With the Edelbrocks, a few things that
they are aware of and were fixing.  First, the push
rod holes on the intake side were off a little.  The
push-rods rubbed so we had to machine them out.  Also,
the guides were a little too tight, again not to big
of a deal, we honed them slightly.  As with any part
like these, they should be completely disassembled,
cleaned and checked before installation.  Ours found
to have black gritty particulate trapped in the grease
for the guides and in the chambers that would have
caused some scoring if not first removed. It also made
us realize the guides were too tight for our liking.

Sorry this was so long but I hope it helps you decide.
 I think they are both good parts and have their place
with strengths and weaknesses.  I am sure there is
more to tell about both, but for most people this
should work.

Nick Alfano
Alfano Performance
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Message: 8