[Amc-list] Whew! Rambler transmission rebuild

[Amc-list] Whew! Rambler transmission rebuild

I get the Rambler back with rebuilt tranny Monday!

The transmission (air-cooled aluminum BW in my 1963 Rambler
Classic) done got all worn up since the last full rebuild back
in 1990. Should I complain to the manufacturer? Oh right.

The final straw was returning from the Black Rock desert last
Labor Day weekend w/500 lbs of camping gear; on the way *out*
of town it decided it didn't like doing the 2-3 shift anymore;
literally on the very first upshift after we pulled onto I5
north! Teased with the throttle and judicious over-revving in 2nd
got it to upshift, and once hot it was tolerably OK... didn't
make for a relaxing 550 mile drive. (For the year previous it
had been sloooow to engage first gear after sitting overnight.)

The car's got 300K+ miles on it. The trans core was from a 1965
Classic, I had rebuild in 1989 or 1990 by B & E Transmissions in
San Francisco. I bought the core from the guy in Sacramento area
who used to be Kyle's partner in AMC Parts Depot in San Jose CA,
can't remember his name. It went in my Rambler at about 90,000 -
100,000 miles. (I think I have notes somewhere.)

The transmission went 200K+ miles on that rebuild. While I've
only got a 232 in front of it, it's pulling a 3200 lb wagon, and
probably 1/3 of that chock full of camping gear and two people.
And air-cooled!

So much for the air-cooled BWs being weak. I did however never
abuse the thing; when climbing mountain roads I kept the revs
up at the expense of MPH (eg. drop to 2nd, or even 1st).

Every two years I had the pan dropped, fluid changed,
bands/clutch adjusted, and the throttle cable adjusted. I think
I went 4 years once. This plus lack of abuse is why it lasted
so long I think (plus good quality).

The car is at The Transmission Shop in Glendale CA. Old
fashioned car-nerd shop. They did our 72 Hornet's 904. $1195
for the Rambler, drive in drive out, it'll be a bargain if they
do a good job. Said he's rebushing the whole thing, not just
wear parts -- which he had in stock!  Dropped off Thursday,
back on Monday, not bad for such an old trans.

(I offered to yank it and drop off the trans, but they said they
wanted to do it to ensure it goes in right and parts match, etc.
No oil leak from the pinion shaft, since that was rebuilt
around 200K.)

What a relief! I haven't been able to drive the thing since fall,
the longest that car has been out of commision.

Though I am fairly certain I never overheated it, I'm gonna
put on a transmission temp gauge. I didn't get one in time to
install in the pan, but I'll affix it to the outside of the pan
and insulate with silicone, which should be more than adequate.