Re: [Amc-list] Haggerty News features AMX as an emerging good value

Re: [Amc-list] Haggerty News features AMX as an emerging good value

  The Haggerty article was good, but it brings up that problematic idea of
paying a premium for a "Craig Breedlove Special".  Has it been solved
yet whether or not these are an actual edition, or dealer creations,
i.e. don't even exist?

I live in the desert, and am not qualified to comment on rust, except to
mention that out here, at least, AMC's tend to fare far better than most
other cars in this department.

I have six, and except for the the 69 Javelin that had the paint removed
and sat in a farm field for 25 years, none has any rust whatsoever.  In
fact, we traded a 79 Camaro that was going to break in half at any moment
from all-over cancer, for a perfectly dry, complete, yet non-running 1975
Gremlin X.

It seems I constantly hear that AMC's rust out worse than other cars.  Is
this true in those snowy, salty places where you guys live? Or is it a
normal rate of rust, more obvious because of the rarity of the cars?

On a related note, Hemmings Collector Car published a list of the "Top 21
Collector Cars" in their January 07 issue.  They don't actually rank them,
but here they are in the (alphabetical) order presented:

1) AMC AMX 1968-1970:
"Really taking off in the muscle car market is AMC's AMX....

"...left its mark among AMC collectors' minds as a great alternative for
power and style compared to the Category 5 Hemi hurricane that continues
to blow through auction houses."

To me it is significant that it was even mentioned in the same breath as
the Hemi hardware.

2) Buick Model F 1906-1910 ( A very profitable period for Rambler, by the
way, while Charlie Nash was on the way up.)

3) Buick Skylark 1953-1954

4) Cadillac Convertible 1939-1941

5) Chevrolet 1958 (My wife's friend just bought a perfectly presentable,
running hardtop for $2500)

6) Chevrolet Impala 1960

7) Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 LS6 1970 (Anyone surprised?)

8) Chevrolet LT-1 Corvette 1970-1972 (The quality on these cars is miserable)

9) Chrysler 300F/G/H Convertible 1960-1962

10) De Soto 2 Door Hardtop (?) 1961  (Really?)

11) Dodge Challenger 1970-1971

12) Ford Mustang K-Code 1965-1967 (These are a real bargain in the West)

13) Ford Thunderbird F-Code 1957

14) La Salle Convertible 1940

15) Oldsmobile W-30 & W31 1967-1971

16) Packard Convertible 1953-1954

17) Plymouth 'Cuda 1970-1971   (Please.  Don't even get me started.)

18) Pontiac Ram Air IV GTO 1969-1971

19) Studebaker Starliner 1953

20) Pontiac Super Duty Trans Am, and Formula 1973-1974 (In my opinion, the
only truly fast Pontiacs ever mass-produced)

21) Shelby G.T.350 1965 (Now that's going out on a limb)

Upon reviewing this list, I find it remarkable that so many of these cars
can be had dirt cheap.(At least in AZ and SoCal)  This might be a way to
finance that Javelin restoration.  Also, they could have arranged this
list any way they saw fit, and choosing to go alphabetically put the AMX
front and center on its own page, while the rest of these icons had to
share space among three cars per page.  Is this a turning point? Of
course, Hemmings has been awfully AMC-friendly over the past decade,
anyway.
mike