Re: [Amc-list] 63 Rambler Ambassador engine swap

Re: [Amc-list] 63 Rambler Ambassador engine swap

Eddie, Andrew is correct, of course! But I will add this: if you're
keeping the original trans it's a relatively easy swap -- provided you
can find one part. You will need a bell housing to fit a 343 with three
speed. A T-10 bell should work also. 360s used a different three speed,
the T-15. Not sure if the bell to trans pattern is the same as the T-89
used behind the 327.

I'm not sure if a 290 bell would work -- they used a T-86 instead of a
T-89. The 232 also used a T-86, but with a shorter input shaft than V-8
transmissions. I'm not positive if the T-86 and T-89 trans to bell bolt
pattern is the same or not. I doubt AMC cast a special bell to fit the
six trans to the 290, more than likely ordered a different length input
shaft for the trans. I don't know for sure though.

------------------
" From: eddie walker <moparedwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hi All
"   I am in the process of picking up a 63 ambassador wagon. It has a
" 327 2bbl. 3 spd. manual combo. Would a 343 be a direct bolt in swap...
" Would it be worth it to do so.?  There is a rebuilt 343 on eBAY that
" I would consider buying if it is..Enclosed is a pic of the car....
" Thank you...eddie

not a bolt in.  the 343 is a different block, with a different
bellhousing pattern.