Re: [Amc-list] Frustration

>I can see your point -- if he's going to get $100 from the shredder, and
>intends to take it right away, why not let you have it for that price?
>If it were me I'd say "come get it", I surely wouldn't waste my time
>towing it to you, unless you wanted to pay the tow bill. I can see that.
>Yeah, he'll have to tow it to the shredder, but I'd assume he takes a
>trailer load (or at least a couple cars) at a time.

Nope; he only has a flatbed tow truck and the sling for a second car is not
working on his truck.  So the only thing he'd be taking would be the car he
was offering me that was up on the truck at that moment.

Plus, my place is closer to his place than the scrapper.

>So I can see him
>wanting a bit more than the $100 he knows he'll get, but not $300.

I was willing to pay an extra $25 for the courtesy.  But an extra
$175.00?  That's a pretty steep towing bill.

This is an old story, you know.  I've spent years offering a fair prices to
people who thought their cars were worth ten times as much ... only to find
out six months or a year later that they scrapped it for a hundred bucks.

Mark Hoban, an AMC guy from way back, has heard all about another one recently.

I went to look at a 67 Ambassador convertible a couple of months ago (290 4
bbl 4 spd factory tach) that I'd known about since 1981 or so.  Well, I get
there, look over his collection (the vert was his only AMC).  I figure the
car needs $15k of work to bring it back to life.  So I ask him if he'd sell
me the car for $3k or so.  He laughs and tells me he'd open it up and let
his dogs sleep in it rather than sell it for that; and that he wouldn't
listen to any offer less than $25,000.

Even Barrett-Jackson wouldn't get that for a primo one.  Who was that
lister a few years back who had the real cherry golden tan one?  Was that
Chris Weigant? Last time his car sold I think it went for $12k.  So it's
not like there's so much extra headroom on these cars.

What gets into people?

-- Marc