Re: [Amc-list] suspension improvments on 62 classic

Re: [Amc-list] suspension improvments on 62 classic

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" i put on ne wheel/tire combo(245/45/17). the tires are
" to wide to lower it on the front really. i can go 1/2"
" safely i think. im just wanting a little bit stiffer
" ride, but want it to handle better. im not wanting
" race car handling. i just want to get rid of the
" extreme body roll, and that "floating" feeling.

when i got my '67 marlin the rear was sagging, so it needed new
springs anyway, but i didn't want it to happen again so i got nos hd
springs - all around.  iirc they're ~20% stiffer than standard; i can
look them up in the tsm.  low pressure gas shocks - monroes iirc -
and radials on 6" rims completed the job.  no more floaty ride; firm
but not hard.  if i still had the car i'd really want a set of 15x8
repro mopar rallies and 235/60 rubber.

monroe doesn't do gas shocks for older cars but gabriel has a special
order program.

proper alignment will help handling.  generally you want 0 camber
[especially with ultra low profile rubber!], 1/16" toe-in, and large
[1* or more] and equal positive caster on both sides.  the caster
gives you a dynamic camber which helps the tires bite as you turn into
a corner.

the lower profile the rubber, the less camber can be tolerated.
static camber can be set to 0 and caster can be set to peg steering
induced camber whereever you want it, but there's another source that
can't be controlled without major surgery or a rock hard antiroll bar:
roll camber - and you don't want a bar like that if you have to deal
with potholes, speed bumps, etc.  our old cars may actually handle
better with less flamboyant rubber.