Re: [Amc-list] Show of hands / high performance aluminum radiator

Re: [Amc-list] Show of hands / high performance aluminum radiator

List,
I took a quick look at what I have lying around. For comparison
purposes, the starting point is a 1970 Javelin. The radiator mounts
through the core support. Both the I-6 and V8 Hornet mount behind the
core support.
The I6 Hornet is a non a/c car so the radiator is a non-A/C radiator,
very narrow. However the A/C is American air, dealer installed. So both
cars have the condenser mounted in front of the radiator. Space is a
premium. I habitually replace the non-A/C radiator with the A/C (Larger)
radiator when I can which is most of the time. My Javelin is a 5 speed.
Everything else is an automatic. If the radiator does not have
transmission cooling I would have to add an accessory transmission
cooler. My AMC radiators have been partially plugged in every case,
causing some form of running hot problems, some have been solved by
other means rather than replacing the radiator but boy howdy do they run
cooler with an unplugged radiator.
If  A/C condenser is involved, space becomes a real premium. If the car
does not have a fan shroud I find one from an Eagle (as they are or were
still prevalent in junk yards) and get it to fit if I can not find the
proper V8 fan shroud. I6 engines, the fan is not centered so there is an
interference problem if you are not careful. I have run V8 shrouds on
I-6's and visa versa. I have the proper Javelin shroud for my Javelin.
As far as the new radiator goes, as it mounts different then the Hornet
applications, I can not use it. Sorry. Also as any application I have at
the moment involves both an automatic and an A/C equipped car, trying to
spend good money to cob something in for me is not worth the effort as
both and after market oil cooler for the transmission and for the
condenser for the A/C also have to fit in a space with a premium of
space, for the same reason, can't use it.
I have done the aftermarket cooler routing when needed and it was a
workable pain in the butt, I may have to do it again with my Chrysler
town and country as I have just installed the 3rd transmission since
April in this sucker. It cost me the better part of the national debt
this time as it took 2 transmissions to get through the warrantee period
the 3rd one went in just beyond the original 12,000 miles warrantee. But
now I have a 3 year 36,000 mile warrantee. That should give me about 6
transmissions if everything goes as well as it did the first time.
John