[Amc-list] Brian is a happy camper and so am I!

[Amc-list] Brian is a happy camper and so am I!

Brian is my buddy who had the '82 Spirit with running probs (too much silt in the fuel tank and the 999 is about to drop out)

He left here a few minutes ago with a FINALLY idling on it's own '81 Wagoneer (full size with 258/727/NP208). The BBD was bugging me the past few times he came over, so I got a good look at it tonight because usually when I tear those carbs apart (I took it apart during the big freeze a couple weeks ago and got it running a bit better for a short while but I was too cold to notice the other bugs and figured it had an intake manifold leak because it had been loose before), they run much better after I reassemble them and this one was a puzzle. I discovered several things. We took the aircleaner off the '82 Spirit to keep him from having ice up problems with the Jeep (Don't have the hot air tube on it yet, but that's next) and tonight I noticed (when we were looking at his exhaust leak) that it has the flame arrester flap in the air cleaner and it was hooked up wrong! (it was wrong on the car too, but I didn't realize the car had the flap as only 4x4s usually had them. With it closed and the motor running, it may as well have had the choke on all the time!) I hooked that up correctly, and we tore what was left of the AIR tube off (several were busted at the banjo fittings so we just finished the job) Then we stuffed the holes with JB weld (glad I remembered a box of gloves tonight!) and went to take another load from my storage (in my '73 J4000) and stuff more of it into my Ford van. When we got back, we picked up some large gas hose clamps and fastened them around the banjo fittings to keep the glue in the holes. (It stunk pretty good after firing the Jeep up) What drove me buggy was the idle was still all over the board, so I crossed #2 and #5 plugwires at the cap and made it backfire (don't think any neighbors heard it as we left the aircleaner on) That made it FINALLY idle correctly so I could drop the speed down to @500 RPMs (may have to readjust later) and the raw gas smell is gone (it'll probably get closer to 17 mpg now if not better)