Re: [Amc-list] AOL users, please read...

Re: [Amc-list] AOL users, please read...

> >It's totally fine if it was a mistake; we'll gladly stop email
> >to you.  But when you complain to AOL "I didn't sign up for
> >this" or whatever the AOL option is, AOL automatically treats
> >the AMC-list as an evil spammer and that stops ALL AOL AMC-LIST
> >MEMBERS FROM GETTING THEIR MAIL!  And causes me untold hours
> >of grief to convince corporate monolith AOL that we're just a
> >small hobbiest list.

Unfortunately this is always going to be a problem with AOL and the other
large corporate ISP's.  One of the main reasons I refuse to use the email
inbox my provider (comcast aka comcrass) provided with my broadband account
-- because they're STUPID.  I really wish my county would stop handing them
a monopoly license so other companies could step into this area and give
them a run for my money.

I think probably the problem comes in most noticeably when you have
something like your list crash, and only the email addresses, and not the
settings associated with those email addresses, are restored.

When that happens, the morons who signed themselves up for the list and
then set their accounts for "no mail" and never again read the list are the
ones who are going to whine like sick puppies and ruin things for the rest
of us.

Deity, save us from fools.

> >Please direct ALL problems -- angry, happy, whatever -- to
> >me personally, or to Frank, or to the list itself. I will not
> >flame you in return; I'll do whatever you need done.

Personally, I have no complaints.  In fact:

THANK YOU FOR DOING THE UTTERLY THANKLESS JOB YOU'RE DOING, AND FOR YOUR
CONTRIBUTION TO THE HOBBY.

> >I just changed all AOL (and WEBTV) members to DIGEST mode,
> >to head off any further problems.

I think that's a wise solution.

-- Marc