Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american convertible

A: The AMC 2.5 with 1 bbl TBI should fit better by an inch or so.

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american
convertible
To: "Sandwich Maker" <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Aussie EFI intake with the runners curved over the valve
cover MIGHT
fit in a 58-63 American without removing the hump, the carb
intake
definitely won't. There's only a couple inches difference
(estimating
from the pics), but that's enough! Take the outer barrel off the
carb
intake and it would fit. The left to right placement of the two
barrel
carbs is what I found that prevented using a modern four
cylinder also.
I didn't find one that placed the barrels front to back and a
bit closer
to the head. Since they all used progressive linkage the side to
side
mount works better. The early 2.3L Ford used progressive
linkage, but I
don't recall if the barrels are side to side or front to back. I
do
recall the intake doesn't stick out as far as later, better
flowing
ones.

The early American engine bay is tighter side to side than the
early
Mustang/Falcon/64-69 American. That engine barely fits in a
Mustang bay.
The header shown on the Ford Six site won't fit either. I'll
haveto
check, but I seem to recall the engine bay as being 23-24"
between the
suspension mounting points. It gets wider above the upper
control arm
mounting points, but the distance between the humps is only a
couple
inches more at the peak of the hump. The humps stick out at
least two
inches from the rest of the inner fender panels. Cut the humps
at just
the right spot and you can weld the inner panel to the outer
without
adding metal (I THINK...), but I'd add a piece anyway for
strength.