Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american convertible

Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american convertible

NEGATIVE JIM!!!! Check the Ford Six site. It's easy to get the 240/300
confused with the 144/170/200 and the 250. The Ford site has extensive
photos, and head swaps between the 200/250. I know you've done a lot of
work on Canadian cars, being so close to the border. Maybe Canadian
Fords had a bored 240 that was used in mid to large sized cars before
the 250 came out? I always thought the 250 was based on the 240/300
block, but found out I was wrong a couple years ago.

The 240 came out in 1964, 300 in 65 for trucks. As far as I have been
able to determine the 300 was never used in cars. It appears that the
240 was phased out after 1971, the 300 ran through 1996. The 250
appeared in 1969 and was produced through 84. Wikipedia has basic info
on the Australian Falcon six, which is derived from the 250. It's
basically the same block, but since 88 it has had fuel injection and a
single overhead cam (SOHC) head, since 2002 a DOHC head. It is still
being produced, apparently.

To recap: the Ford 250 is a tall deck version of the 144/170/200 family.
The deck was raised over 1.5" to get a longer stroke (0.78" longer, I
believe, but that may not be an accurate number). The cam location was
also moved up, so the timing set is different. Many other parts,
including heads, will interchange. It IS NOT based on the old 240/300
block. Check the Tech section and the "200 - 250 Swap FAQ" for
differences.