Re: [AMC-List] new car, new ideas

A: I don't have one yet to check the pattern, but IH used the D20 with 727 (even came with it in some of the AMC 6 cyl models) I need to find a Ford one to find out if it's the same I guess. (that and makes sure there is clearance on the driver's side of the pan for it to fit) I do know they make clocking rings for them (I have one already, but it's going to be used this week to put an AX-15 and NP208J into my '87 Comanche so I have 4x4 in case there is more bad weather. I have to drop the trans anyways because the pilot bearing is dead and seizes up now and then) This brings me back to my original idea of putting the BA 10/5 Peugeot trans into the '82 Spirit with flywheel for the EFI. (I'll have to figure out how to mount the hydraulic clutch. Anyone ever check to see if XJ pedals will fit?)

From: msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] new car, new ideas
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually, the Jeep 208 is pretty short as cases go, but I
understand that your concern is the up/down and cross/car
packaging.  It has a heavier chain than a 231, shorter, has a
good low-range, and a fixed rear yoke (which wheelers prefer for
double-cardan rear driveshafts).  If I already had one of those,
I'd investigate using that first, as its a good case.

Its the bolt pattern compatibility that was primarily driving my
comments.  Waggy 727's (or CJ 9xx's) are plentiful, have the
right engine pattern, and carry the round NP pattern on the
rear, which gives you a wide variety of cases to choose from
(even a 242) with easier clocking options.

The assumption I am making is that the Ford D20 doesn't have a
round pattern.  What's it look like on the tranny side?

-Spro