Re: [AMC-List] new car, new ideas + dash stuff

Re: [AMC-List] new car, new ideas + dash stuff

Yeah, we straightened him out on it!
You know I always wanted to do the opposite and defourwheel drive an SX4 since it is already flaired and such!
  Right now, I have to get my shoulder taken care of and healed up. Did the Arthrogram and MRI on it yesterday. Don't let anyone tell you an Arthrogram only hurts a little! A Large needle run into the joint cavity of of your shoulder just plain hurts a lot! 3 weeks to go till I see my Orthopedic doc to see if he can fix it!
  I started on my gauges install in the American! I wanted to do a full custom install.
 I bought six Autometer Sport Comp gauges and a Billet specialties gauge panel. My plan was to do a steel rework and fit the billet panel in place of the plastic 69 cluster surround. Once I got into it I see it would be doable if I took the dash out and was healthy. Right now, that is not something I'm able to do. So I've regrouped.
  I'm now mounting the Billet specialties gauge panel into the plastic 69 surround.
It is not for the weak at heart as it totals the plastic surround! But, it leaves the steel dash unscathed!
  I have to work overtime tonight and tomorrow night. I'm hoping to take some pics to document progress before going any farther. One of the things I had done to the cluster before was I use Fleckstone to paint the cluster plasti a gray texture that was a nice match for the tweed on the seats and door panels. Once I get it reworked I plan on repainting it in the fleckstone and adding the 440 dash treatment across the glovebox and radio surround done in the same fleckstone.
  The good thing about all this is no good dash pieces have been harmed in the process! All my 440 trim pieces have the nipples broken off and the dash surround I started with had a bunch of cigarette lighter circles burn't in it!
  I hope to have the thing done before the weather brakes and document the whole process, much the same way CarCraft did. What I'm doing is a very simple operation that others can copy easily. It requires sacrificing a gauge surround but no real steel dash surgery at all! the end result is a full set of six gauges! You could even make a cluster pin adapter to avoid harming the factory harness if you are so inclined! Making it possible to return to stock!
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net