Re: [AMC-List] FOR SALE: 1969 AMX 500 Special One of 32 - $15000 (Santa

Re: [AMC-List] FOR SALE: 1969 AMX 500 Special One of 32 - $15000 (Santa Rosa, CA)

Bob, my first thought was that $15K was actually "low average" for a
nice AMX (they tend to bring ~$20K, 360 or larger, depending on options
and condition). But then I read everything -- some missing parts, not
running, wrong color. If there's no documentation (window sticker?)
there's no way to tell if it is an original "AMX 500" either. The
sticker on the fender doesn't cut it! Even if it were a metal emblem
that would still prove nothing. Depending on WHY it's not running, this
could be anywhere from a $5K-$10K car. It will take another $10K to get
it to $20K territory, mainly because it really needs a good paint job
back to the original color to be RESTORED. Not "fixed up" or
"restified", but RESTORED -- as in put back to factory appearance (or at
least fairly close -- and note that I dais APPEARANCE -- I give a bit of
leeway for things like brake and engine improvements and adding optional
equipment).

I wouldn't give any extra for an "AMX 500" either. It's more a selling
point than a value adder. The AMX 500 was a regional special that really
had nothing but the sticker as unique equipment. Some California dealers
got together and came up with the "package" for advertising purposes.
They may have got a group order up of specific equipment, but I've seen
them in several colors. That indicates that the dealers may have got a
discount on a specific option package ordered over a short time period.
Bigger discounts came with ordering a certain number of cars all exactly
the same -- color and all. That would also make them a little more
valuable, as they could be more easily distinguished. Anyone can slap a
sticker on and call it "special". I'd have to see some kind of
documentation to add anything to an appraisal price, and even then it
wouldn't add much in this case -- the AMX 500 is to little known, and
those "in the know" realize it's really just a sticker. Hence a good
"selling point", but not much of a "value adder".

----------------
Date: Monday, January 15, 2007 11:37 PM
From: BOB MEDINA <bobm22@xxxxxxxxxxx>

15k is not that bad for 500 special 1969 b.b.g
  i just sold my 1969 b.b.o.for 24k
u can see it at http://community.webshots.com/user/bobmedina
bobm

Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:08 AM
Subject: [AMC-List] FOR SALE: 1969 AMX 500 Special One of 32 - $15000
(Santa
Rosa, CA)

> Rare and all...  but $15k?  Has everyone gone nuts just because a
Mopar
> fetched over a million?
>
> Leather seats... AC...  Radio appears to be gone...

> 1969 AMX 500 Special One of 32
>
> Reply to: <mailto:sale-261443961@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=69_AMX>
> Date: 2007-01-12, 5:15AM
>
> 69 AMC AMX 500 Special, one of 32 built for Southern Calif. AMC
dealers,
> and used to promote racing. Car needs restoration, been in storage
(inside)
> for over 20+ years, still there, car does NOT RUN,. Car was Big Bad
Green,
> with tan interior, as all 500 Specials where, has been repainted the
wrong
> color, VERY RARE AMX, Picture on cover of AMX book is what car should
look
> like when resoted, call Dave @ (707) 588-8588, will consider trade
plus
> cash, no motorcycles or rice rockets, have no interest in them, will
trade
> for a project
> Mopar, Mustang, GTX, Fairlane, Galaxie, Road Runner, GTO, Muscle Car,
Hot
Rod,