[AMC-List] 68 Rebel Convertible Questions

[AMC-List] 68 Rebel Convertible Questions

Hi

Pretty new to AMC, but not to old cars.  I recently bought a 68 Rebel
convertible.  We were blessed with fine weather at the weekend so I took
it out for a drive.  I have a couple of faults/niggles and if anyone on
here has advice/experience, I'd be glad to hear it:

The Speedo needle dances around all over the place - at about 60 MPH it
is flicking wildly between 15 and 90.  The odometer works fine (at least
it turns round and I reckon the numbers are about right for the miles I
covered).  Logic suggests to me it's the speedo head at fault but my
ex-wife's logic always seemed somehow different.....

BTW I have bought a little gizmo that measures speed very accurately
using GPS signals - but I need to repair the "proper" speedo.

The other thing is a sort of shimmy that shakes the whole car as I pass
through about 40mph. It seems to be coming from the front end.  If
anyone's experienced this I'd be glad to hear about it.....

Thanks

John E