Re: [AMC-List] amc history

The Time archive is indeed interesting -- if only they had the pics for
the articles too! I'm sure that would take entirely to much server
space. They do have the covers though -- you can get the image of Romney
and a Rambler on the cover of a 62 issue (I think it's 62...) when he
announced he was running for the governor's office of MI.

Go to www.time.com/archive

I did some searching through old issues and found an announcement of
George Mason's death. If AMC had merged with Studebaker-Packard in 54-55
it would have been the second largest auto company in the US, second
only to GM!! I doubt that would have lasted long, as South Bend would
have had to go as far as the assembly operation was concerned. To costly
since so many parts had to be shipped in from Detroit area suppliers.
One can only wonder how such a merger would have been pulled off, and
what the eventual results would have been today. It could have gone
either way -- still in business, or went under faster.

The decision to move Packard production to South Bend is one of the
decisions that in hind-sight doomed S-P. One can only wonder if the
Mason/Romney team would have done the same or cut it out. Romney never
was keen on merging with Packard, much less the combined S-P.