Re: [AMC-List] Emission Maintenance Timers

Re: [AMC-List] Emission Maintenance Timers

IIRC the timer would trip at 80K so if it was available a clock with 50K on it would be good for another 30K +-. That being said IRC they did nothing but trigger that stupid light in Cherokees. However IIRC they would put the ECU in stepper carbed AMC's into lean mod and they would run like crap till replaced. The AMC's used a slide in ciruit board that operated off of key on hours so they tripped due to run time not mileage. I got into a big argument over one years ago when a service writer wanted me to sell a carb overhaul and major tuneup to guy who just needed the board replaced. I never thought about what one would do about the old systems now that parts are likely not available? Nutter bypass?
  I don't think all years of the stepper carbed AMC's had the light and board. I think it was quickly disscarded as a bad idea. Sort of like when they said to do a maintenance replacement of O2 sensors at 50K and the EPA told them they had to cover them under the 5-50 warranty! They soon decided that O2 sensors did not realy need replaced! Yeah, I still try to swap mine out by 80K or so to keep them in peak working order. They slow down as they age. Sort of like us!
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net