[AMC-List] carbs like heat, Re: Heat Crossover

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, jackbarncord@xxxxxxx wrote:

> How many times have you said a few unsavory words about the
> half paper, half foil tube that runs from the snout of the
> factory air cleaner to that annoying tin shield that wraps
> around the exhaust manifold?  How many have you removed and
> tossed in the corner or worse the trash?

Oh yeah!

While it's most unlikely, let's say, that Los Angeles will see
-100F wind chill, it sure takes a long time to warm up the big
fat chunk of 258 under the hood. I don't get usable heat for
about 10 minutes!

I adapted an 80's Concord/Eagle airbox to the top of my Weber
32/36 DGEV (easy) and plan on running hot air up from the
manifold into it. (The later ones have big rectangular snorkels,
instead of the little 2" round the older cars got.)

That's not the whole reason for the airbox add; the main reason
is I arranged to point the snorkel of the airbox right at the
chunk of sheet metal to the right of the radiator (looking from
the front of the car with the hood open) that will have direct
access to cold, outside air once I chop out a 4" x 3" section
of it (I'll add a tube or duct). No more sucking under-hood air
that's too hot to be cold for power, and too cold to be hot for
warmup. Besides, the Weber sucking air was easily the noisiest
thing under the hood!