[AMC-List] AMX question

First, just got my new Car Craft mag and they must really like the burnout
Bryon's son was doing because they ran the pic again.  Always like seeing an
AMC in the mags.

Now I would like some help with something I found on the AMX.  On the inner
rocker panel, just behind the leaf spring mount and in front of the wheel
house opening there was an extra piece of metal there.  Was this correct or
did someone weld a piece on to cover some rust?  I'm replacing the inner
rocker and part of the middle rocker so we're not sure if this is suppose to
be there.  There is a small piece that was added by AMC where they rolled
over the inner wheel house lip for the torque link, and we thought maybe
this was something else they added for "support".  Any info would help.  You
can email me off list also

Thanks
Dan Whitehead
Brodhead, WI