Re: [AMC-List] Was E-Stick, Now Drivers

The E-stick was available from 1961-63 in Americans and Classics, 196
L-head or OHV (but not the aluminum engine because of the different oil
pump, I think). Basically it was a cheaper alternative to an auto that
got better mileage. At least until engine oil pressure started to go or
you were in a hilly area. Both would wear on the clutch, as would
jack-rabbit starts. I recall reading that some company bought a bunch to
use as in-town delivery vehicles, but were replacing clutches once a
year (20K or so) because of all the starts/stops/driving like it's not
yours.

Almost all manufacturers had some sort of semi-auto trans where you only
had to use the clutch to come to a complete stop and to start. Once GM
introduced the Hydramatic in the late 30s (I seem to recall 38?) they
had to! GM didn't start selling Hydros to others until 1950. Then Nash
was the first to make a deal, trading use of their "Weather Eye"
filtration system for rights to buy the Hydro. A year or two later GM
was selling Hydros to others as well.

I'd like to do the cruise and swap thing! I imagine a few people would
be interested in the ride and handling of my Jag rear axle car w/rack
and pinion, semi-auto trans, and 4.6L stroker even though it's nothing
exotic. The big problem I'd have is it's reliable, but still has a few
things that need to be fixed. Noise in the rear end due to the used
gears I have and worn side bearings (something I should have replaced
when I replaced all seals, but they looked good...). I also have a
vibration at speed. I think it might be the bearings, at least
contributing to it. But the 67-78 big cars had a vibration damper
mounted on the driveshaft hump roughly in the center of the car. I think
I'm going to get one of those and try it. I've checked all the universal
joints (all six!) and have nothing loose, and the driveshaft angle is
within a degree or two. Just minor irritants, nothing that's kept me
from driving the last four years!!