Re: [AMC-List] get them while they are hot

Re: [AMC-List] get them while they are hot

Regarding this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=300059111700
that is not too unusual at all. While there are some nice reproductions out
there, you have to drill/resize the holes in your hood. Sure, it won't show
once mounted but some have problems drilling holes in car! This particular
used piece has all four mounting tabs, quite a feat in itself after almost
40 years. More unusual is the scoop. It is a non Ram Air scoop. A dummy
scoop. 1241 70 AMXs had dummy scoops as not everyone wanted for Ram Air. Not
sure how many Javelins got that.

One thing I may mention also is that the reproduction ram air trim don't
take to chroming. The originals you can easily have rechromed. The newer
stuff while looks good, is different metal and turns to goo if dipped. A
buddy of mine who has the Rad Mad had a pair of repro ones chromed. They
melted. I asked to have one done, and told the chroming place if it melts,
no problem simply not because I didn't believe him, I wanted to see for
myself. Somewhere on a shelf in my garage is a 2 inch pile. Can't even tell
what it was, looks like playdoh. So can't have the newer stuff chromed if
you want. As for ram air trim, I sold almost all my broken tab ones in the
past year for $10-$75, and well, it depends on how many tabs they still had.
The $75 one had 3 tabs, so the $177 for the auction is not out of range,
epecially since it also included a rare dummy scoop! I just hope someone
uses it, neat to see some of the dummy ram air cars at meets.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx