[AMC-List] Success at last! (Was: Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep)

[AMC-List] Success at last! (Was: Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep)

Well, I had a really great post all written up and I THOUGHT I posted
it, but I haven't seen it in several days. Oh, well. Rather than go
thru all the rigmarole of remembering what I wrote, I'll just
paraphrase.

I'm eating crow, and loving every bite!

To Tom, and all the others who gave suggestions during my trials with
my old '82 CJ-8, THANK YOU. Thanks for putting up with my complaints,
and for insisting on sticking to the basics.

As it turns out, many things that I thought I had checked were wrong...
don't know what I checked, or if I actually checked them vs. assuming
they were right, but whatever the case, they were wrong. Float height,
vacuum piston gap, choke pulloff, ALL wrong. The only thing that was
right was the accelerator pump setting!

Long story short, once the carb was back to stock specs, I put the
timing back to stock, then up to 7-8*.. before I couldn't run the
timing down far enough, or it would die. The end result is that it
starts straight away, and just hums! The choke stays on too long, but I
can just back off the choke coil a bit and go from there.

I've been driving the Jeep all this week, and it's been FANTASTIC.
Thanks again!

Nick