-----------------
Date: Thursday, December 14, 2006 02:05 PM
From: andrew hay <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" It does state that "wheel to wheel" (mounting surfaces on drums?)
width
" of the narrow track Wagoneer (SJ) D44 axle is 58-59". The wide track
" axle is 61-62", which would make it 2-3" narrower than a 63-66
" Classic/Ambo axle (tread width on those is about 63"), and that should
" make it a good fit for an American. CJ AMC 20s are 50.5" narrow, 54.5"
" wide track.

according to my old stack of car&driver annual new car issues, rear
track on the '65-6 classic and ambo is 57.5".  rear track on the
american is 55.5" and the hornet et al axle is the same as the early
amx and javelin, 1.5" wider than the american.