Re: [AMC-List] Jeep axles in AMC cars?

Here's a good page outlining what axles Jeeps used. The links help a
lot! http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/
It does state that "wheel to wheel" (mounting surfaces on drums?) width
of the narrow track Wagoneer (SJ) D44 axle is 58-59". The wide track
axle is 61-62", which would make it 2-3" narrower than a 63-66
Classic/Ambo axle (tread width on those is about 63"), and that should
make it a good fit for an American. CJ AMC 20s are 50.5" narrow, 54.5"
wide track. No width for the SJ, but they should be the same as the 44.
The XJ/MJ axle is 60" or 60 3/4" wheel to wheel, and it's the same width
as AMC Eagle rear axles. It's known to be 2-3" wider than a
Hornet/et.al. axle, which is about the same width as the American.

Now if you wanted to tub the car a little they would be great! You would
be better off with a FSJ rear end, that would be an AMC 20 w/one piece
axles, but you'd need to have the hubs redrilled for 5x4.5" bolt pattern
(it's 5x5.5" stock; w/HD 3/4 ton and 1 ton models using 8x6.5"). The
"wide track" FSJ axles (all w/factory fender flares) might be wide
enough for the American. They aren't real wide either. Even the FSJ axle
might require mini tubs though. The FSJ axles have been swapped into
CJs, so they aren't much wider (if any for the "narrow track").

The big Ford Bronco seems to have 62" wide 9" axles! Check though. If
it's a 62" axle that might be a good source for Ford 9". I'd check the
pickups too -- the big Bronc was F-150 based, I'm pretty sure of that.
The small Bronco uses 58" wide 9" (for V-8 models). Check the "axle
swap" link from the page I listed above. There are lots of good tech
articles for AMC axles and engines on this site, by the way!

--------------
Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 08:06 PM
From: markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Speakin of old CJ's anyone kn ow what flavor axles came in what I would
estimate to be late 60's early 70's narrowtrack CJ's? I know of a yard
that had
a few. I think at the time I loooked I thought they had Dana 44's in
them, but
it's beena while and now I'm not sure. Any idea of width and would they
be
worth anything? Ratios used?