Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:13:25 -0800 (PST)
From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] 77/78 Gremlin or Pacer Hatch Lock Needed
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have two Gremlin hatchback locks but no keys.  I
also have a 75 Pacer which has no hatchback key.  I
talked to my local locksmith today and these units are
not easily disassembled.  To do so, you have to
destroy the bezel on the front by uncrimping it.
My locksmith tried to make a key for one of my Gremlin
locks by using the "K838" code on the lock.  He could
not make a key that worked.  I don't know what
catalogs he was working from, but he's the expert so I
didn't question the procedures.

He said the same lock assemblies were used on the
Weatherguard truck tool boxes make by Knaack (sp?).  I
went to my local weatherguard distributor and they
could not match the key code.  He did recognize the
lock assembly so my locksmith was right about
Weatherguard using the same lock.  The keys he had in
the stored (which looked like AMC/GM ignition keys)
all started with the key code "K0xx".  The distributor
called the Knacke factory and found that these locks
have been discontinued.

The AMC 77 TSM says the locks were provided as an
assembly and there is no stated procedure for
disasembling them.  This is different from the door
locks, where there is a written procedure.  The
locksmith said you would have to destroy the front
bezel to "uncrimp" it and remove the tumblers.

So my questions are:

Does anyone have a spare 77/78 Gremlin hatchback lock
with key?  I'll pay whatever is reasonable.

If you have an assortment of old AMC keys, I would
also appreciate borrowing them, to try to find a key.
I'll return your keys promptly.