Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part II.5

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Nick Lenarz wrote:

>  My biggest
> concern with tightening the choke is the fact that the longer it stays
> closed, the longer it is held to the high idle position, which is a
> problem while driving and at stoplights.

You should really find the service manual that covers this carb,
and go through the settings one by one.

The choke spring setting should be within one notch of factory setting.

The fast idle is adjustable separately.

> I took the Jeep out last night after fiddling with it for a bit. I got
> it to idle on its own after kicking and starting it a total of seven or
> eight times, and let it warm up. I went for a drive, and still noted
> the following:

No offense meant, but I think you make things more complicated
for yourself than you need to. My suggestion is to fix one
thing at a time.

It's cold out; set the choke and fast idle. You'll be happier
every morning. Ignore the problems below until this is working.

A lot of settings interact; so if you adjust many at once
symptoms interact and will be hard to untangle.