Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part II.5

Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part II.5

Thanks to all for the suggestion of the choke. The weather has been
quite cold recently; it's too bad the cold moved in while I was
fiddling with the cam timing set, as I don't have a good basis of
comparison now!
I checked the choke setting last night, and found that it was closing
'most' of the way, but it didn't close tightly. I will tighten the
choke when I get home, and see what happens from there. My biggest
concern with tightening the choke is the fact that the longer it stays
closed, the longer it is held to the high idle position, which is a
problem while driving and at stoplights.
I also received a suggestion to simply convert to a mechanical choke,
for more control. I have a manual choke on the MC2100, and the cable is
still in the Jeep, but I don't have a manual choke housing for the BBD.
I'll see about getting one tonight.
I took the Jeep out last night after fiddling with it for a bit. I got
it to idle on its own after kicking and starting it a total of seven or
eight times, and let it warm up. I went for a drive, and still noted
the following:

* General lack of power at idle and off-idle.
* Flat spot in throttle right at 1000 RPM.

This same engine used to be able to idle up steep hills in 4WD, and
wouldn't stall for anything! I think the flat spot has to do with the
setting of the needles in the BBD carb, but the lack of power at and
off idle isn't helping things any.
I'm thinking about contacting Comp Cams and asking if they've ever
encountered anything like it. I also plan to connect a vacuum gauge to
the intake manifold so I can check it while driving. I think a lot of
this problem is a general lack of vacuum at idle, where it should be
highest, because it seems like it just stops sucking gas. Once I solve
that, whether it's because of the cam or an as-yet undiscovered vacuum
leak, I think I'll have it.