Re: [AMC-List] Transmission Interchange.. (good M3x/M4x trans info!!)

Re: [AMC-List] Transmission Interchange.. (good M3x/M4x trans info!!)

The trans I sold and shipped to California a year or two ago was a S-42 model which I always assumed meant it was a S for service replacement.
I wonder if the guy ever got it installed? I wonder how different it was? I shipped it complete with converter and yoke. Hopefully the guy didn't have so many problems.
I know it did not have a tranny line fitting for liquid cooling! It also had the dipstick tube going into the case instead of the transpan.
I know it was a good working trans when I swapped it out to put in the 4.0L.
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net

---- farna@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Jerijan jerijan at adelphia.net
> Tue Nov 28 20:09:52 UTC 2006
>
> I have just spent the forth day doing an 'easy change' placing a 232 Transmission from 1970 into a 1965 American with a 196.
> Easy Change...almost...
> I was told it was a drop and do... Except...
> I had to change the input shaft and the shaft the oil pump mounts to so the Torque converter would fit...
> This is because the torque converter from the 196 would not fit the splines on the 232's tranny...Changed the bell housings and tried the 232 torque converter and...the bell housing would not allow the transmission to 'go in'..it hit the cowl with the engine lowered in the rear.
> So...changed the two shafts in the front of the trans and...put the 196 torque converter on it and the original bell housing (from the 196) and...
> AL-Ley-Leu-YA!!  IT FIT INTO THE CAR...and every thing lined up nicely..
> Everything, that is, except...
> The YOKE.
> The Yoke from the 196 does not go into the 232's tailshaft.
> Seems the 232's yoke did fit the 196's tranny (strange, isn 't it??  Same with the torque convertor..the 232's fit the 196 but not vice versa)...

> You should have a model 43 transmission (1970 232), which is why you have so many problems! I haven't actually seen every automatic transmission AMC has used, at least not out of the car and side by side for comaprisons. Your interchange adventure uncovered a lot of information! The front pumps are slightly different, and I bet that M-43 shaft is made of a stronger material than the 196 shaft. That would be the only logical reason for not allowing the larger converter of the 232 to fit the 196 trans, but allowign the smaller converter to fit the 232 trans. The 67 American TSM does mention that the 3x and 4x are "similar in construction, design and operation" (probably mentioned in the 65 and 66 American TSMs also -- I only have big car TSM those years -- no mention of model numbers but the 65 appears to be M3x only). So it seems like the 3x and 4x are sort of like the TF 904 and 998 -- the 998 is a heavy duty 904 for all preactical purposes, and many parts interchange betw!
 ee!
>  n the t
> wo, with most 998 parts being made the same size as the 904 but from stronger material (in most cases). Same with the yoke -- 232 needs a bigger u-joint, won't hurt to put the bigger one behind a 196 though.
>
> You're the second person this year to mention air cooling for 4x tranny that is air cooled. I thought they were all fluid cooled, but that's obviously incorrect. They have the ABILITY to be fluid cooled, and some apparently were from the factory (depends on options, I guess, as one of the cars mentioned this year with an air cooled trans and no fluid cooler was a 68 or 69 Ambassador with 232), other were added at the dealer or by owners at some point in time. After careful examination of the TSMs, I can determine that the 4x series has the capability for liquid cooling, but the 3x series does not. All they need for air cooling is the correct torque converter with fan attached and the bell with air inlets/outlets. The key is the "converter out" tube in the 4x series. This goes over to a passage on the right front corner (with trans in car -- right side is driver's side of US models) of the trans under the oil pan. There is a plug in the side of the trans there, or the outle!
 t !