Re: [AMC-List] AMX Headliner, Center console

From:
Don Johnson <donjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:40:37

Seasons Greetings to the list,
Does anyone have suggestions regarding the correct glue to attach the headliner to the fibre frame?
I tried contact cement, but it's obvious that the heat of Summer on the roof will melt the glue and the adhesion will be short lived.
I bought a center console for a 68-70 AMX/Javelin auto with the intention of making it work for my 4 speed car. My interior is not stock. The console I have is for a black interior and is probably too nice for me to be cutting it up. It's only crack is inside the compartment and is due to a missing support, looks like a 1 inch hole. It is missing the rear light lense and 1 magnet.
If anyone needs a nice console and is willing to pay the shipping exchange to send me their "not so nice" console, I'm willing to make a straight up trade. If you're in the Montreal area, it could be a very good deal for you.
Don

Are you sure contact cement will come off? It's used to hold formica down on counter tops -- the heat shouldn't affect it. Get teh good kind in a can and use a brush to spread thinly on the fiberglass. Then let it set (per instructions) and put the cloth in place. Note that you better have the placement right the first time -- once stuck it's on there! I generally use wax paper between the cement and material until placement on a cabinet, then pull the wax paper (which the cement won't stick to) out. That would be hard to do on a head liner! I recommend working about a foot at a time from one edge. The spray adhesive doesn't usually go on thick enough to do much. Make sure the fiberglass is cleaned very good! It's the foam on the back of the headliner material that breaks down and causes sags, not the glue releasing.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"

From: Don Johnson <donjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>