Re: [AMC-List] New look at an old car

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" 2.73 might be a bit much for a three speed 195.6 to pull starting off. I
" don't recall what the stock rear gearing was, will have to check. A four
" or five speed with a lower first would work well, but 2.73 wouldn't do
" with an OD.

i agree here.  199 americans were available with 3.08s and o/d set to
engage at only 38mph.  based on the way my 199 pulls 3.08s in top it
ought to be an excellent cruiser at 50 or 60, but i've heard it's
marginal.  perhaps it's just differing expectations.

2.73s should be out entirely with a 5sp, especially considering the o/d
5th ratio most have.  otoh 3.77s or 3.55s would work well with a very
tall o/d.

" My 63 American with auto had 3.15 gears stock, 3.31 as the

3.15?!?  that's an amc20 ratio...

" performance gears (which I had). A 3.08 might be a better choice,
" depending on the first gear ratio in the T-14.

this is odd.  most of the t14s, and all the early ones, had a 2.63 1st
like the t96.  but some of the later t14s had a 3.10 1st, and at least
from my mitchell interchange perusal i couldn't see any pattern as to
which gear was used when.  perhaps they went with tall axle gears, but
the mitchell didn't note that.  maybe it was just top o' the pile...

if you can pull a 3.08 with the stock t96, you oughta be able to pull
2.53s with a 3.10 1st.