[AMC-List] Blasphemy

Non-AMC powered cars has been and still is a subject that brings out very
vocal opinions.  It's been discussed here on the list at length at different
times, usually with great debate.  AMO a couple of yrs ago finally voted in
a non-AMC powered class for shows.

I have always been of the opinion that there really is no good-enough reason
to put a Cheby engine (the usual choice) in your AMC (or Ford, Mopar, etc).
There are still plenty of good engines - esp. 360's - out there that can be
configured to make good power reasonably to satisfy most needs.

Now, that being said, it's hard to argue when you go to a car show/large
swap meet, and you see trailer loads of wreck/take out LS1 engines+OD trans
that make good power, are very reasonably priced, and require little to put
in other than figuring out the mounts and how to hook the computer up with
the appropriate sensors.

With that in mind, I saw something this weekend at the Daytona Turkey Rod
Run that I think is a great alternative to using GM power.  Use a late model
Hemi!  I saw a 4000 mile 5.7L engine+auto trans w/computer/sensors/wiring
for about $3K.  At least it's in the family, or you can make that argument
anyway.  Plus, that's in the range of what it would take to build a good AMC
engine at today's prices.

The Mopar Hemi's are getting plentiful in the junkyard - at least the 5.7's.
  The 6.1L - 425 HP versions are still scarce and pricey, but for a driver,
the smaller one would surely liven up an American.  It would offer power,
reliability, driveability, and wouldn't be a GM!  So, if you must do a swap,
then think about using this combo.

Just a thought from my overactive mind...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL