Re: [AMC-List] SJ Axle width?

Jim didn't answer the width question directly, but if the Narrow Track
SJ axles are 1" wider than the XJ axle, it won't fit the American or
early Classic. The XJ axle is to wide (same as Eagle). The XJ axle fits
the big cars after 1967, but is slightly wider than the stock axle. Of
course there's an issue with mounts for the four link then. XJ axles
don't fit the 63-66 (or earlier) big cars, but the 67+ big car axles
will. I ran an XJ axle on my 63 Classic for a while. Had to use 3-3/4"
backset 7" wheels w/205/70R15 tires, and they were close! Any larger
would have scrubbed, and those did a little when loaded down. The 64-69
American axle is an inch or so narrower than the 63-66 Classic axle.

Mark, you might want to find out how wide CJ axles are. The Wide Track
CJ axle might be a good fit, at least as good as the S-10 axle.