Re: [AMC-List] 62 classic rear axle id

You know, since Jim mentioned that the Spicer 53 and 27A are Jeep axles (I didn't know that!), it's very likely that the person looking up the info looked at the wrong thing (under Jeep instead of Rambler or AMC cars), or the computer files are just wrong. Companies have been trying to reduce inventory by merging part numbers whenever possible. They sometimes make assumptions (especially on older parts) that are entirely wrong. Try ordering a water pump for the 196 -- you will get a 196 pump, but the last time I tried it was pot luck getting the right one! There were at least four different pumps (two bolt patterns, two shaft lengths, two different heater outlet locations).

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"