[AMC-List] AMC Progress

I finally made some progress on the drivetrain of my
77 Gremlin X this weekend.  I had finished installing
the replacement tranny cooler lines a few days ago.  I
had installed a rebuilt nonfeedback BBD carb but had
not been able to run the engine for final tuning
because the old tranny lines leaked.

I had mounted the air pump incorrectly and the belt
didn't line up with the lower pulley, so after
figuring out that puzzle and correcting the
misalignment I was able to start the car.

I quickly found (well fairly quckly) that the
Prestolite distributor had no vacuum advance nor did
it have any mechanical advance.  I tested the vacuum
system and the distrubutor was getting 15-16 inches of
vacuum at fast idle.  I then tested the distributor
can and it would not hold vacuum.  Kragens' wanted $79
for a rebuilt distributor and my local independent
parts store wanted $57.  Not in stock either place so
I began looking through my parts collection and found
another Prestolite six distributor which held vacuum.

I installed it today and after the timing was set
properly the little 258 purrs like an AMC.  I need to
install the driver's seat and see if it moves down the
road OK.  I had the 904 tranny professionally rebuilt
by a local shop.  Then onto finishing the interior and
color sanding the old paint followed by buffing.

Big smile,
Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA