Re: [AMC-List] Trans for 72 232 six (AW4 w/o EFI)

A: Don't mix and match flexplate and trans! The offsets are different (which is why Keliegh's trans bombed out) If you run the AW4, use the AW4 flexplate (if you go to EFI, Renix and HO use different tone rings but that's the only difference) and starter ('87 up Grand Wagoneers use the same starter according to my rebuilder's guide at work. Flexplate for the late model GWs have a different offset as well) If you want to run a 4.0L with HO EFI and a 727, you can carve the crank sensor hole easy enough in the trans bellhousing (I have a 999 case with crank sensor from a 2000 Wrangler 4.0 I was going to build that is going into my for sale pile along with the valvebody. I sold the guts to someone who used some of the internals in an XJ 904) and use the TJ 999 flexplate, which should attach to the converter with the correct offset.

I thought there was no valvebody (other than direction controller and manual over ride for the gears) in the AW4? Just electric solenoids controlled by the computer?

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Trans  for 72 232 six (AW4 w/o EFI)

Mark, it doesn't take much to get an AW4 working with a
stand-alone
controller (TC from now on). The stand alone controller was used
from
87-95. In 96 the OBDII controller has the trans controller
integrated
with it.

(snip)

The only other problem is the flex plate. You need to run an AW4
flexplate and matching 4.0L starter. The TF flexplate MIGHT work
if
redrilled, but I'm not sure. I know there can be problems using
an AW4
flexplate with a TF converter. You have to make sure the
converter isn't
pushed into the trans to far or you'll burn up the front pump.
Keleigh
Hardy found that out the hard way, IIRC! The solution is to
shorten the
"ears" on the hub or thin the threaded mounting lugs on the
converter.
Or just use the correct flexplate and starter -- neither of
which are
hard to find in salvage yards now.

Well, there's a bigger problem I suppose -- finding a 2WD AW4 in
a Jeep.
Not hard to do in the south, but in northern parts of the
country
(including Pacific NW -- anywhere there's a reasonable amount of
snow)
they are pretty hard to find. But there may be a solution! The
AW4 is
also known as the A340 in Toyotas, but it's the same trans. The
main
trans body should interchange on the Jeep bell housing. The only
difference I've seen is that some of the Toyotas (specifically
the
Supra) use an electronic servo in place of the TV cable. From
what I saw
the servo mounts in the same location as the cable, and should
be
replaceable with a cable. The valve body is calibrated
differently, but
valve bodies will interchange. The only drawback here is you'd
likely
need to buy a Jeep 4x4 trans and a Toyota 2WD trans (trucks and
SUVs,
Supra and others rear drive cars with the I-6 or V-6) for all
the parts.
If the servo can indeed simply be replaced with a cable then you
just
need the Jeep flexplate and bell. I'd use the converter that
goes with
the trans, especially if the trans and/or converter are used.