[AMC-List] Primitive form of cylinder de-activation

[AMC-List] Primitive form of cylinder de-activation

Younger brother takes a 1984 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 as partial trade on a
Ford van he was selling. Said Ramcharger was an Arizona truck up until
about March of this year and is very nice inside and out (other than
some faded paint). At some point either on the drive up from Arizona or
shortly after it ended up in Cincinnati, the previous owner ran it out
of oil. My older brother ended up buying it from my younger brother to
repair as my oldest nephew's first car and now it's at my house 'cause I
have all the cool toys you need to R&R an engine.

The engine developed a pretty loud noise (this happened before my
younger brother got it) which sounded too loud and heavy to be valve
train but wasn't quite the deep hammering sound you get from a rod knock
and had a bunch of large metal chunks in the oil. The engine was yanked
out Saturday and partially torn down today and I'll have to say I'm
pretty impressed with the damage.

Basically, it threw a rod but instead of windowing the block, the rod
turned 90 degrees and bent into a U shape in to the cylinder on the
other side of the block. This process also caused a large chunk of the
bottom of that cylinder (the one the rod bent into) to be knocked off
and a couple of small pieces of piston to end up in the valley above the
cam shaft. The crank journal  ended up not being gouged but is now
visibly oval shaped. I guess my brother now has an excuse to replace the
318 (or is that a 275.25?) with a 360. I also now can say that I know
what a connecting rod bouncing around inside an engine sounds like.

Luckily, no AMC's were harmed in this entire fiasco.

Matt
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH