Re: [AMC-List] Just FYI, Someone harvested our e-mails from the list :(

Re: [AMC-List] Just FYI, Someone harvested our e-mails from the list :(

Arfon (and all), in the future please let Tom and I know of any
suspicious activity BEFORE posting directly on the list. Give us a
chance to investigate and see what's happened and if there is a fix
before alarming everyone -- maybe for no reason. Arfon, I know you're a
computer guy and can tell a lot by the header, but the average user
can't.

Unfortunately there's no way ANY publicly accessible system can be 100%
secure. The sad fact is hackers are getting smarter than protection
software. No matter how well protected any server is, someone can get in
if they try hard enough. Some people seem to have nothing better to do,
or just like the challenge a seemingly secure system presents. Some bozo
seems to enjoy shutting a Tandy Color Computer forum I check in on down
also. Until there are laws against it, there's nothing that can be done
to prevent such data thefts and spammers. Even if there were laws, most
couldn't be stopped. It's like speed limits -- no one really obeys them,
at least not regularly, unless they know cops hang out in the area --
and there are only so many cops.

Tom will be looking into this and find out how this happened and "plug
the hole" if possible. Don't panic!