Re: [AMC-List] AMC vs Ford engine weight.

Re: [AMC-List] AMC vs Ford engine weight.

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
"
"
"
"
" The internet has the really amazing capabilities called
" search engines. I have noticed that they weigh far less
" than an AMC V8, but if you use one it will come up
" with the following URL.
"
" http://www.241computers.com/ford/ContentExpress20-30-38.html
"
" If you read the table at that site it lists the AMC v8
" at 540 lbs and the Ford 302 at 450/460 lbs. Which
" sounds about right.
"  At about ½ the weight of an AMC is--------the winna!
" 1098cc      253    Midget/Sprite
" Which would probably fit nice in an early Rambler
" and improve the handling too!
" And surprise, it was used in an early Rambler, the
" Metropolitan.

close but...  the met was sort-of a rambler, being made by austin [later
to become british leyland] for nash.  also, the engine it used was the
bl b-series, not the 948/1098/1275cc a-series.  i think it started at
~1200 but grew to ~1500 in the met and ~1800 in a revised 5-main
version in the mgb.  i believe the ~300cc c-series 6 is a b-and-a-half.

i also note they say a 199 weighs 500 lbs.  recalling the pr flack
that they shaved 90lbs from the 258 in '81, that would make it about
410...  i believe the 4.0 falls somewhere in between.