Re: [AMC-List] rubber, urethane, noise -- was Prothane = Strut bushings

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Mark Price wrote:

> Sounds like my American matches the Hornet ride.

Cheap chassis! I mean, they were economy cars! Honda et al do
a fantastic job at this, today, though I never rode in a early
70's Honda to know if they sucked too. Standards changed.

The Classic's really well insulated from road vibration. The
trans mount is usual, but the whole x-member is isolated. Spring
pads top and bottom front and rear (mine are long gone, though
I cobbled up something, I forget) and rubber in the panhard.

>   The next phase of work entails the new 2.95 first gear T5 Z pec trans and floor insulation and carpet. The floor will be getting coated with the Peel and stick stuff then standar carpt and pad.I expect those additions to make a big change in NVH!
>   I know my full size Bronco really quieted down when I carpeted the rear area over the rubber mat.

The Hornet, I really did a good job of heat insulation, air-tight
interior, and a fair -- but 400% better than factory -- sound
insulation job. With windows up, it's quiet, and cool; for
interior noise (wind, engine etc) it's not much worse than the
'96 Honda.

Though my exhaust is fairly loud, with that Summit turbo muffler.

The hornet is all road noise, thumps, rough surface, etc
all transmitted mostly the front, where the rear is just a
poor-weight-ratio longitudinal spring rear with no insulation.

I run decent Nitto tires, but maybe they're noisy, who
knows. It's not like I get to try 'em all out.