Re: [AMC-List] Duraspark distributor woes (258 six)

Re: [AMC-List] Duraspark distributor woes (258 six)

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Jim Blair wrote:
>
> > The vacuum advance would be your extra degrees for "total"
>
> Well, yes and no, from what I can tell.
>
> I know I'm not racing, though WOT simulates it a bit; zero
> vacuum, timing is static+mechanical.  I believe under this
> circumstance I should be able to run 36 - 38 degrees total
> advance (for the six).

I've been sick (nasty headcold) and that stopped me cold on
working on the car.

Turns out I have RC12LYC Champion plugs in there. The "L"
means extended electrode; I got them from a local parts store
by looking up "83 Jeep". They should be RC12YC, not "L". Either
they didn't notice the L, or they substituted, and I wasn't
paying attention.

So I've mailordered RC9YC's, and will play with timing with
these colder plugs when those arrive.

I'm thinking that the absolute best way to determine optimum
ignition timing for a given set of circumstances is exhaust
gas temperature. I'm not likely to do anything about that,
but I might look around to see if there's a temp probe that
fits in an oxy sensor bung hole.