Re: [AMC-List] Front drum stuck to hub

A: You'll probably find the wheel studs are "swedged" to keep the drum from
coming off. I wouldn't reuse the bearings unless absolutely necessary. I
replaced my last ('60?) Rambler's ball bearings with tapered rollers I had
kicking around that happened to be the right size (I think I bought them for
my neighbor's Concord but only needed to replace 1 side as the other was
already new)

From: "johnny kazek" <johnnykazek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] Front drum stuck to hub
To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   Kind of another rookie question but here goes-

   Rebuilding drum brakes all around on 60 Rambler Wagon.
Trying to
   remove front drum passenger side, shoes retracted with no
problem, but
   drum wouldn't come off.   Planned on repacking bearings so
took off
   nut and drum slips off no problem, but appears seized to the
hub.
   So I have the drum and hub removed as one unit.    Could get
away with
   having drum turned like this, but I've already purchased new
drum and
   would like to put that on.

   If you follow me so far, I'm tempted to soak the drum/hub in
PB
   Blaster then slam the lug bolts against a flat surface, but
think I
   might damage hub or inner bearings.    Should I pry bearings
out
   first?   Try heat around lugs then pry hub?    Am I missing
something
   obvious here?  OK if I lose the drum but don't want to break
anything
   else.

   -- Thanks a lot for your time!

   Johnny